Conservative management is when your health care team continues to care for you without dialysis or a kidney transplant. Conservative management focuses on maintaining your quality of life to reach your end of life goals. The treatment includes physical and emotional support as well as help with preparing for your final moments, which many people find comforting. You might hear conservative management called comfort or supportive care.
It’s vital to know that you are still you and your choices are still important. If you are interested in learning more about conservative management, please access the resources below for more information. Your doctor can help you connect with a conservative management team near you.
Conservative Management Resources
- Coalition for Supportive Care of Kidney Patients
- Shared Decision-Making in the Appropriate Initiation of and Withdrawal From Dialysis – Clinical Practice Guideline
Renal Physicians Association
- When Stopping Dialysis Treatment is Your Choice: A Guide for Patients and Their Families
National Kidney Foundation
- HOPEline Peer Support Hotline
Renal Support Network
- Medicare Hospice Benefits
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
English | Spanish